The Horizons Program Academic Excellence Academy at Runcorn State High School challenges students to develop
and apply skills in divergent and critical thinking, teamwork and collaboration, innovation and creativity, and effective
communication. The individual talents of each student in the Academy are nurtured by our specialist-trained
teachers. The Academy is supported a rigorous curriculum that encourages students to become leaders in their field,
and active members of their community.
What we offer
Our Academic Excellence Academy provides learning experiences beyond the mainstream classroom. The academy,
beginning in Year 7, focuses on delivering a fast-paced curriculum, embedding higher order thinking and mastery in
the core academic subjects of Maths, English, Science and Humanities. Students then participate in project-based
learning, personalized to their strengths, which will develope students ability to transfer their knowledge and apply in
real world situations.
Our Excellence teaching team is comprised of staff who are dedicated experts in their field. They stay abreast of
current and emerging research to ensure that the curriculum is dynamic and engaging. One of the key features of this
model is the high level of contact these teachers are able to maintain with the students and parents throughout the
The Academic Excellence Academy offers:
- Curriculum extension with the development of higher order thinking, creative problem solving, critical thinking
skills, and transfer application of skills to range of subjects areas and texts.
- Project-based learning using the inquiry approach, which enables independence and self-directed learning,
allowing students to explore specific areas of passion.
- Increased exposure to a wider variety of academic opportunities, activities and challenges that provide deeper
insight into the content being learnt in the classroom. This includes a range of excursions and academic
competitions and challenges.
University activities and challenges, including UQ, QUT,
USQ and Griffith
- Brisbane City Library/Qld State Library
- ICAS competitions – Maths, Science and English
- Debating/ public speaking
- STEM partnerships
• Museum of Brisbane
- Archaeological dig
- National History and Geography competitions
- Participation in the Premier’s Anzac Prize, Simpson Prize
or QHTA competitions
- Australia-ASEAN Youth Forum
- UN Youth
- Verge Young Entrepreneurs
- Creative writing
How to apply
1. Check that you’re in the appropriate year level to apply:
|Excellence Academy||2022 Availability||2023 Availability|
|Academic||Year 7 and 8 students only||Year 7, 8 and 9 students only|
2. Submit an online Horizons Program Expression of Interest and email through the appropriate supporting documentation where necessary.
3. Sit an Academic exam:
|Thursday (weekly)||3pm - 4pm|
If successful, applicants will be invited into the Horizons Program pending their Student Enrolment Application (new enrolments only).